Friday, September 7, 2007

From The Word Go


Survived my first week at work.

New work place. New office environment.
New bosses. New colleagues.
New ways of selling. New lunch menu.

And most importantly, new media.

In fact, the whole set-up is so new that my boss is 2 months old on the job, my fellow sales colleague is 1 month old, and the sales support executive turned up on the same day as I! We are currently recruiting sales members, and I will be about one month old myself when these new guys join the team.

Received a couple of messages today from 'concerned' pals enquiring my whereabouts. So I have decided to put up this posting.

To be honest, it does feel kinda odd to be finally on this side of the fence after hearing ex-colleagues rant and rave so much about their old work place.

Wearing the staff pass lanyard round my neck almost makes me feel like I have sold out the company that has helped me feed myself for the past 5 years, if you get my drift. Well, I try to take comfort in knowing that at least it is not an absolute face-off with the traditional platforms.

I feel an odd mix of a sense of stability that comes with working for a giant, and a sense of uncertainty associated with a fledgling start-up.

As I go about doing things in the office this first week, it dawned on me that, like ex-colleagues who have joined the new movement, I've moved considerably out of my comfort zone. It seems that everything that I have to know and do in this new appointment, I have to pick up from scratch.

Standing on ground zero does give me a uniquely different sense of perspective.

I am faced with a different set of challenges and a whole new bundle of opportunities. Everything that I have come to take for granted suddenly calls for definition and development from the start: from work processes to documentations, and giving input on financial and incentive matters.

Only the first week, and I have already had my first taste of social watering hole with the rest of the sales, tech and back-end staff.

The mere thought of having the opportunity to learn and break new grounds flushes me with excitement, albeit adulterated with that inevitable pinch of uncertainty. Have to remind myself to step on the pedal from the word go.

So the new chapter has started; the first few pages have turned.

It's like going back to school after the holidays, but joining a new class.

A new class with new form teacher and classmates. New chair and desk. Well, if only it comes with a new car as well. Haha.

Incidentally, today 07-09-07 is Google's 9th anniversary since it was first incorporated as a company Google Inc. Look at how it's grown!

P.S. How I miss those weekly $2 pleasures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I have not seen you yet, I can feel the bounce in your step and the glimmer in your eye. Let's see if I see a chubbier you when we meet later :-)

Donut said...

Yeah lor, not only chubbier, but more pimply as well :<