Sunday, September 30, 2007

Butterfly Kisses


Many of us may have long gone past the age to celebrate Children's Day ;)

But on this special day, let us toast these little ones who have helped make the puzzle of our life a little more complete.

I have compiled a list of 10 songs that recording artistes have written for that little special ones in their lives.

Song to celebrate the arrival of the child, song to remember the child by. Song to cradle the angel to dreamland, or simply to express their love and adoration for the most important person in the world. All in a language they know best.


1. Baby Baby -
Amy Grant wrote it for her 6-month-old daughter Millie

2. Isn't She Lovely -
Stevie Wonder celebrated the birth of his daughter Aisha with this song

3. Butterfly Kisses -
Bob Carlisle for his daughter Brook when she was 16

4. Tears in Heaven -
Eric Clapton wrote this to remember his 4-year-son son Connor

5. Hey Jude -
Paul McCartney wrote this song not for his son but for John Lennon's son, Julian

6. Good Night -
John Lennon fulfilled his paternal duty by writing for Julian himself. The lullaby was however sung by Ringo Starr

7. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) -
To be fair, John Lennon also wrote one for his second son, Sean, whom he had with Yoko Ono

8. Sweet Baby James -
Although some still think James Taylor wrote this lullaby for himself (he apparently had to sing himself to sleep as a kid), he was actually writing about his nephew James R. Taylor, named after him

9. Lovin' You -
Minnie Riperton wrote this for her daughter Maya, whose name was in fact mentioned at the end of the song, when she sings "Ma-ah-aha-aha-ah-ya."

10. Goodnight, My Angel -
Billy Joel wrote this song as a lullaby for his daughter who asked him "Where do we go when we die?"


To his daughter's question, Billy wrote these words in the song:


Goodnight my angel, time to close your eyes
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me
I think you know what I've been trying to say

I promise I would never leave you
And you should always know
Where ever you may go
No matter where you are
I never will be far away

Goodnight my angel, now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
When we went sailing on an emerald bay

And like a boat out on the ocean
I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark and deep
Inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me

Goodnight my angel now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child may cry and if you sing this lullaby
Then in your heart there will always be a part of me

Someday we'll all be gone
But lullabies go on and on
They never die, that's how you and I will be




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely have a soft spot for kids :)

Donut said...

I am sure you too love kids, Miss V :)