Saturday, March 8, 2008

Cloudie Day

This is dedicated to all my supportive friends reading this blog, especially those feeling like a cloudie day today (you know who you are) ...

And a special mention of my uncle to whom I recently introduced this blog of mine. He's now working at BKK. Hope he's not feeling too homesick; I know he dearly misses my aunt and my 'little' cousin (who's incidentally turning 21 this year! How time flies!)

Today's also the birthday of one dear friend of 20 years. He's currently residing in Taipei. Hope he's getting on well. I never fail to remember his birthday every year, simply because I know it falls on the same day as International Women's Day!

To friends who share the pleasure of walking in the parks. Friends who share the joy of watching Xinyao concerts. And to the friend who shares the inspiring story of Jonathan the seagull.

Enjoy the words and the short simple video below.

The video may take a while to load, so please be patient.


“A cloud does not know
why it moves in just such a direction
and at such a speed ...

But the sky knows
the reasons and the patterns
behind all clouds.

And you will know, too,
when you lift yourself high enough
to see beyond horizons.”


Richard Bach
Author of 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how often have i wished i could see the reasons and the patterns behind clouds. to understand precisely the rationale of the rain lines that come down at an angle to the ground.

how great, i thot, if i would to be blessed with retrospective knowledge before every action.

and i am resentful of god... he exists solely for his children, doesnt he?

~ cloudie dayz


WAS WIRST DU TUN, GOTT, WENN ICH STERBE?

What will you do, God, when I die?

I am your pitcher (when I shatter?)
I am your drink (when I go bitter?)
I, your garment; I, your craft.
Without me, what reason have you?

Without me what house
where intimate words await you?
I, velvet sandal that falls from your foot.
I, cloak dropping from your shoulder.

Your gaze, which I welcome now
as it warms my cheek,
will search for me hour after hour
and lie at sunset spent
on an empty beach
among unfamiliar stones.

What will you do God? I am afraid.

~ Rilkes

Donut said...

Both poets are talented. both theists, I anticipate.

Both poems are profoundly abstract and thought provoking, to say the least, each one pairs off nicely with the other!

Are the words of Rilkes translated? The title looks German, no?

Anonymous said...

yes, i tink all his works are in german. either that or i hv read only translated versions.

i have a couple of his works at home, can share with you if you are keen.

just over lunch, i came across a review on the book 'The Cloudspotter's Guide' by Gavin Pretor-Pinney. He is the founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society.

According to him, there are 10 kinds of clouds, each with its USP and story. The book also contains >50 black and white pictures of clouds.

Available at Kino @ $20.97.

cloudie

Anonymous said...

Ha... clouds remind me of a story..

A mouse felt tiny and small compared to others in the world.

He envied the clouds, telling them that they must be the strongest for they fly so high in the sky and see everything. The clouds said they were not the strongest. They are afraid of the wind. For wind often blows them away.

Mouse then spoke to wind, expressing admiration for its strength. Wind replied that it was also not the strongest, for it could not move the mountain.

So Mouse turned its focus to the mountain, praising it to be the strongest. Mountain replied that it was still not the strongest for it had a dreadful fear - Rodents that go about making holes in the mountain.

So long as we believe in ourselves, strength is always within us.

Take flight and soar.

- curls..